Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Beauty...Budapest Style


When we first arrived in Budapest I could rarely go to a public place without seeing a woman (of any age) with red hair. I'm not talking natural red here, I'm talking R E D, sometimes on the verge of orange, sometimes on the verge of purple. The reds here cover the whole spectrum. Somebody has since told me that red hair dye was the only color available to Hungarian women during the reign of communism. I'm not sure whether this is factual or not, but if so, explains a lot.

So...walk into a beauty salon in Budapest and you see lots of dyed red hair, on the patrons and the stylists. As I was getting my hair colored & cut a few weeks ago I realized that both my colorist and stylist had red hair - different shades, of course. I also noticed that my hair looks a twinge on the red side... Hummmm? Alas, they assure me it is brown. I think they must be mixing a little red in too...maybe it is government required!?

In other beauty news I have found a wonderful esthetician here who does wonderful facials, microdermabrasion and laser hair removal. She grew up and trained in Houston and has been back in Hungary now for 2 years. You would not believe the cost of treatments here! Like I've said before, goods are more expensive in Budapest, but services are cheap. A 1-hour facial costs me $15, a microdermabrasion treatment $20 and laser hair removal (upper lip) is only $10 per treatment! I am going to be one pretty & hairless beauty when I get back to the states. Of course...I will have R E D hair ;)

2 comments:

Holly said...

Keith calls in RNFN, red not found in nature.

KC said...

Those are amazing prices!