Monday, May 18, 2009

Stop it, I don't like it!

Four year olds have a tendency to use their actions more than their words, meaning lots of crying, pushing, hitting, biting, etc. when they are wronged by a friend. I'm in awe of Caden's teachers and the way they coax 14 children to play nicely at school each day. Of course, disagreements and struggles happen, so his teachers have come up with a way to encourage the kids to use their words instead of actions. Introducing... "STOP IT - I DON'T LIKE IT!"

Over the past several weeks, I have heard Caden use these words with his classmates, other friends, and even Reese. (Note to Caden - Reese does not get it.) I have to say it is effective, especially for Caden who typically screams the phrase. I actually think this helps him because it makes him feel better and gets some of his "anger" out without causing bodily injury to another child. OK, maybe he is not really supposed to yell these words, but what works works.


3 comments:

Monique said...

ooooo! Good job Caden! I can't wait to see the shouting matches tomorrow... I'll get the popcorn ready!

Lisa Liner said...

Wow! I wonder if Lele can say that when she loses a tennis match!!!

Jessica said...

Oooh. good tip. I'll have to teach Barrett and Kyle!