Wednesday, November 5, 2008

America's Historic Choice

Both politics and religion can be divisive subjects among friends and family, but since I've mentioned religion a number of times on this blog I cannot shy away from noting the historic results of the U.S. presidential election and thereby bringing up politics as well.

I woke up this morning to see that a majority of Americans had elected to send Barack Obama to the White House. What an amazing moment in history!

I don't consider myself a Republican or Democrat as I'm not registered as either. I was raised in a home that welcomed lively political discussion and would sometimes find my parents voting on the same ticket or on opposite tickets. My first presidential vote in 2000 went to President George Bush and my second in 2004 to John Kerry.

Barack Obama's campaign for the presidency began nearly 2 years ago and I watched him announce his candidacy. To be honest, I had already decided even before then that I would likely vote Democratic in the 2008 race. I disagreed with The Bush Doctrine (yes, I know what that means) and felt that above anything else, the war in Iraq was my biggest issue. None of the Republican candidates said much about the war to disagree with President Bush's policies, so that led me towards the Democratic ticket.

As I continued to learn more about Barack Obama, his ideas and judgements, I got more involved in the campaign (even contributing money - a first for me)! I read his Blueprint for Change and learned about his stances on the war & foreign policy, education, the environment, healthcare and taxes. While others saw him as "cool," I perceived a thoughtfulness that was missing from the previous administration. While others saw a "celebrity," I saw a man who inspired millions. The more that I read and the more I heard him speak, I was convinced that this was the leader to bring sweeping change for America.

When we moved to Budapest my eyes opened even more to the need for change. We needed a leader to restore America's leadership in the world and stop the abuse of power that had led countries that once aspired to be like us to mock us. Most importantly, I wanted a leader to show my children that force is not automatic and help reinstate our current and our children's future reputations in the world. I wanted a leader to lead us away from isolation and fear and improve people's circumstances at home and abroad.

I am in awe that America has elected the first African-American President. I am so grateful to my wonderful parents, who were raised in a place where there were separate water fountains for black people and white people. They chose a different view from how they were raised, they chose a world view, and raised my brother and me to be open minded, tolerant, rich in our faith, and followers of God's principle to love thy neighbor as thyself. My parents are an inspiration to me and I only hope I can do as good a job at parenting as they have. I know they are floored by todays result and I am so happy they saw this wall come down in their lifetime.

In the end, no matter how historic this day was in terms of electing an African-American, it is even more historic that so many people got involved in the process and thereby showed their dedication to this nation. Close to 120 million Americans voted and no matter who your vote was for, as John McCain pledged to help and support Barack Obama in the challenges ahead and provide to him his good will and earnest efforts, we should all do the same.

2 comments:

Babee said...

I am so proud of your beliefs, courage, and commitment to the future of your children. Realize that sometimes your positions may not be the most popular but stand firm as Caden and Reese will remember--just as you have.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

You have expressed the feelings of a nation following what will be viewed as a major crossroad for our country. To your generation the Vietnam War is viewed very much like mine viewed WWII. Time can heal, and the healing in this election has only started. I heard this today, so I cannot take credit, a father told his son, " this is your century, I'm just walking around in it". I pray that the positive hope Obama brings to your generation will enhance the world you raise your kids and my grandkids in. Love to everyone.