Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's Progress Report Time!

Tonight Kyle and I met with Caden's teachers to review his mid-year progress report. I've had previous meetings like this at his preschool in the states, but since he is actually nearing school age now I am placing a little more importance on them. Plus, communication on a meaningful level with his teachers each day is difficult, so I welcomed the opportunity in a quiet setting.

We had a great meeting and learned that Caden shares characteristics of both Kyle and me that were reported to our parents in similar meetings when we were young (Meredith - VERY social (i.e. talks too much), Kyle - will not take much time in one activity (i.e. impatient & active). Hummm, I guess we have our work cut out for us!

Here are some excepts from the report (it was two pages long, so I just picked out some):

"Caden just loves to be at school and spend time with his friends. Caden will chat with anyone in the group and is very social, open to both his peers and teachers, but when it comes to meal times or story times, he always wants to sit with his boys (Roland, Marcus, Carter & Dani).

Caden is a very social and popular boy who likes to choose activites by which his peers are participating and he is definitely a leader in the group.

Caden can at times be very impatient, especially during meal times.

Caden is a very active boy who loves to use his body constantly throughout the day. He loves to move in the garden and also in the gym and althoughh more often than not he is more focused on having fun with his friends than putting his mind to the task, when he does focus he is quite good at walking backwards, climbing and taking big steps. He can also throw and catch quite well and his is very fast. (Note - he is showing right hand dominance, so Kyle's dream of a lefty pitcher may be over)

He can recognize his written name and also can spell his name correctly. He can recognize all colors and most shapes. He can classify items by color, size and shape and his counting is at a very good level as well. He also has great memory skills and can recall songs, rhymes and past discussions well.

Caden is such a sweet boy who really gets swept up in the excitement of being at school and helps to keep a joyful atmosphere in the classroom."

5 comments:

Lisa Liner said...

Awesome school report Caden. Your Lele has always known you were a smart kid.
I really like how well you are doing in your gym class!
I love you very much!
Lele

Monique said...

Bravo! They could write TYPICAL BOY with all the "can use his body and movement." :) Love it!

Staci said...

Way to go Caden!!!

Cathy said...

What a good report card, Caden. I was just telling someone last night what a smart boy you are. Hugs and kisses,
Cathy

Babee said...

Sounds like a fun meeting. What a neat kid--smart, outgoing, active, inquisitive and very, very cute. What's not to love!
Love,
Babee and Poppy