Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wholesome Baby

After my Gerber Organic stock ran out and I determined the few jars of Hungarian baby food I had given Reese probably were responsible for constipating her, I turned to making my own baby food.

Does anyone remember the cute '80s flick Baby Boom? That is what I feel like! I'm loving making her food and Kyle says maybe I should start marketing it over here.

Anyway, I've gotten most of the recipes here and I'm starting to throw some other combos together to make her meals a little more interesting. Considering I didn't like avocados until a couple months ago, it surprised me that her favorite combo at the moment is Banana-Cado. I've done some fruits (bananas, apples, pears, avocados) and only a few veggies (butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots). Since I am new at this and many of you have been making baby food for longer, please let me know if you have any suggestions or favorites!

Now my only problem is where to stock this stuff! Here is a picture of our freezer... The entire bottom drawer is homemade baby food and frozen breast milk. The top section is fast freeze for ice cubes and ice cream. This leaves only the middle section for any normal frozen foods. This is why we have turned into a "just in time" inventory family!

5 comments:

Summer said...

Mere, I have to give you a hard time about your accounting joke at the end there. Boo! Do you have a Magic Bullet? My mom actually got me mine for Christmas last year and I loved having it for making Kaitlin quick small batches of baby food. It's great b/c you can steam the veggies in the same container that you blend it in. Plus it's super small, which sounds like it would be plus in your new digs. Just a thought! I'm sure Reese is loving her homecooked meals!

TeamRiss said...

Making your own baby food is great! I did it for about a month. And, much like you, I couldn't find anywhere to store it. I always made too much in one batch- good luck and it is so good for her!

Lisa Liner said...

You are a very smart daughter-in-law!! Does this mean you might think about "cloth" diapers? Just kidding...ha! ha!

Unknown said...

i have been making Hunter's babyfood and he loves it. Its easy to do and more nutritious for him. I bought the Babycook from Williams Sonoma...its french and juts came to the states...you steam and puree it all in the same pot. I love the wholesome babyfood website and blog. I do his meats too - chicken and turkey. He eats spinach, greenbeans, peas, edamame, squash, sweet potatos, carrots, banana, avocado, applesauce. He is not a huge fruit fan except the ones I listed above but he loves veggies. I put it in ice cube trays and then once frozen I pop them in freezer bags. He also eats yogurt and puff cereal. have fun...

Newman Family Blog said...

So fun! I've just started making baby food for Nora. My mom made it for me and I thought it would be a fun thing to do for the baby. I stocked up on organic veggies at Whole Foods and cooked away this weekend. I've been putting mine in ice cube trays to freeze, then transferring the blocks to plastic bags that I can label. So glad to hear that someone else is doing this too! Glad that Reese loves it!