Wednesday, August 13, 2008

From Me to Momme

Being Me was fun, challenging, stimulating and exciting. Me worked hard and enjoyed the praise and accolades from bosses and clients. Me played hard and loved going on dates with my husband, on trips with friends, meeting for happy hours, playing poker way too late, and sleeping in. Me ran, and biked and swam. Me enjoyed reading for fun and meeting the girls to go shopping. Me enjoyed endless “Me” time.

Then Me became Momme – twice.

Momme works hard changing diapers, wiping noses, cooking breakfast, lunch & dinner, doing laundry, grocery shopping, kissing ouchie-boo-boos, rubbing backs & patting bottoms, disciplining, bathing, cleaning up throw-up, planning endless hours of entertainment, and pushing strollers. Momme plays hard singing Wiggles songs, reading Curious George, blowing strawberries, counting Matchbox cars, pushing Thomas’ engine around the tracks, playing piggies with sweet toes, rocking tired babies, catching leaping swimmers, and making play dough animals. Momme only has time to be Momme.

Being Me was great. Being Momme is better. Me is in my children’s giggles, wide grins and twinkling eyes. Me comes through in the stubbornness, outgoing nature, and joyful spirit of my children. This is where Me and Momme converge.

Me will continue to be around and Me will definitely go on a date with her husband again. Me may not get an opportunity any time soon to try on clothes in a dressing room alone, wake up past 7:00am, have a conversation with another adult lasting longer than 30 seconds before attending to another child, or do only 2 loads of laundry a week, but Me is not gone forever. Me is being reshaped and retooled and learning from just being Momme for a while. I look forward to Me returning, Me version 2.0.

8 comments:

Christa said...

beautifully written and OH SO TRUE~
interesting how everyone was right when they say everything changes when you have a baby - i didn't quite grasp what people were talking about until i was a stay-at-home mama.. i'll be getting a double dose of it come march... and couldn't be more thrilled!

Kim Allen said...

Isn't it the truth!! I love being a mom, but my life is definitely different than it was before Abby was born.

Martin's said...

Meredith, I love this! It sums it up perfectly.

Summer said...

What a great post Mere. You put what I'm feeling it seems like every day now into words. It's good to hear I'm not alone, and not the only one who feels like a completely different person than I was before.

Babee said...

Me is part of Momme. Never lose the Me because it is a very important of who Momme is and should be shared with your children. They will need to see that you are competent, able to be successful in the world whatever you choose to do and whenever you choose to do it. I love you--who you were and who you are now.
Mom (Me)

Jonna said...

quite profound Meredith!

Lisa Liner said...

I loved your post Meredith. I am an older version of Momme!!! You are doing wonderful things for your children and MY grandchildren!
Love,
Lisa "Lele"

Cathy said...

Love your post. I've been there and done the same. You will never regret the time with your kids and I promise you will have ME time sooner than you know. It all goes so fast! I do have to ask though, what is up with all this burnt orange? Have you been away too long?????