Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Language of Play

We have spent the last two late afternoons at neighborhood parks enjoying the beautiful weather and killing time while Daddy is out of town. On both occasions, Caden has engaged in "spontaneous play" with several other children riding their motos around. Of course Caden is still on his tricycle, but he rides along just like the rest. They follow each other and laugh and giggle.

I've always been struck when Caden plays with his peers, but it gives me even more pride when he engages with those that he can't even understand. I guess the language of play is the same all over the world!

I've told him that I will buy him a moto this week if he is good for me while Kyle is out of town. Hopefully this will just encourage his play with others.

Two funny things he said today were:

"Mommy, she's trying to talk to me (about the little girl on her moto this afternoon), but she speaks Hungarian and I speak English."

"You are driving me crazy!" (Something I utter quite a bit lately, but he said to me this evening when I asked him to eat his chicken)

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Caden cracks me up! What a cool kid...

Kim B said...

Hey Meredith! Just thought I would drop you a line and say hi! I check your blog and what's going on almost every day and love to hear the stories!

TeamRiss said...

Your child is so smart- 'she speaks Hungarian...' Love it.

Jessica said...

I love the "you're driving me crazy" -- too funny! He's so smart. Been thinkng about you guys!