August 20th is a national holiday in Hungary celebrating St. Stephen (Szent István), the first King of Hungary. St. Stephen was crowned King by the reigning pope on Christmas Day 1000 AD, integrating Hungary into the rest of Europe. In the years to come Stephen proceeded to spread Christianity and push reform on the land; giving individuals the right to own land, organizing the country into counties, and putting the armed forces under royal control. Overall, Stephen was a fair king who people respected. He died in 1038 and was canonized by Pope Gregory VII on August 20, 1083.
We spent the day at the Marine House on Castle Hill enjoying beautiful city views, food & drinks, and an air show and race. We had previously visited this beautiful piece of land in June just after we arrived for another picnic hosted here. The views are amazing and this was the perfect place to be for the day - away from the crowds! The land is owned by the US and it is my understanding they bought the land or were given the land after WWII. Unfortunately, Hungary now wants it back for its historical significance (there is a 13th century building there that apparently used to house political prisoners), thus this may be the last time we could enjoy the site.
Caden had a great time running around with old friends and new friends, watching the planes fly overhead, and riding a cute PINK bike borrowed from a little girl! I think he's ready for a bigger bike now! One of the pictures below is of Roland, one of his new classmates at school and a great new friend. Miss Reese enjoyed hanging out as well and as always is showered with lots of attention from everyone.
We continue to meet so many new and friendly people. Being at the Marine House was like a little slice of America, even though we were celebrating a Hungarian holiday. We were surrounded by Americans, speaking English at every corner, old fashioned hot dogs & hamburgers, and even Dr. Pepper to drink! When we left the gate to jump on the bus to head home, I had to remind myself that I was in Hungary again (it didn't take long based on the EEMS (Eastern European Man Smell) on the bus). Thanks to Megan Moates in Russia for that terminology :)
We made it home just before dinner and after putting the kids to bed, enjoyed the fireworks show from our balcony. The perfect ending to another wonderful day!

2 comments:
I'm frightened by the EEMS!! When you come back here, you should be a history teacher! I learn so much from you!
Caden, Did you like the airplanes? I bet they were awesome. Miss you and take care of your sister.
Reese, You are getting so big! Your squeels sounded very good. I am sure mommy would rather you be talking softly but you have to work your way there. I don't want you dating till 18 but don't worry about the EEMS. Boys won't be like that when you get older. Miss you.
Meredith hope things are well. Miss you guys. I love reading everything about the blog.
Kyle, meet you on the fantasy 50 on Sunday!
Post a Comment