Kyle's grandmother, Nonnie, passed away on August 31st at the young age of 80. As many of you had been reading, she was suffering from complications associated with pneumonia, brought on perhaps by her weakened immune system from cancer treatments. Nonnie was such a wonderful grandmother and her 5 daughters (plus 4 sons-in-law), 11 grandchildren (plus 8 grandchildren-in-law), and 19 great-grandchildren (going on 20!) are all better people because of her love.
Perhaps the most true thing said at her funeral was that Nonnie was just cool. That is not usually the word used to describe one's grandmother, but with Nonnie, it was true. She frequently hosted Kyle and his college friends in Shreveport for football games and trips to the boats. We would often leave her house with the words "Go on to the boats and contribute to the Shreveport economy..." ringing in our ears. And contribute we did! Kyle fondly recalls eating lobster for the first time with Nonnie at midnight at the Isle of Capri. Christmas gifts were always a treat from Nonnie, including the year she cleaned out her book collection and picked out a book for each family member. Her sense of humor was great and laughter quick. She needed both to get out of trouble with Lisa when she and Johnny lost their car in a parking garage on the River Walk in San Antonio just a few hours before our wedding. Needless to say she was a little late for the obligatory "grandmother" photo, but she did make it in time for the actual wedding.
We are going to miss Nonnie so much. She will forever be in our hearts.
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.
Proverbs 31: 30-31
7 comments:
First, so sorry to hear the news of Kyle's grandmother passing. Our prayers are with you. Second, are you telling us something when you say, "soon to be 20"?
Meredith and Kyle,
I am so sorry about your loss of Nonnie. I wish we could have seen you while you were so close, but certainly understand your need to be with Kyle's family during this time. Please accept our sympathy.
Meredith~You are such a beautiful writer of feeling and experience. I know that mom (Nonnie) is smiling down on us. She might even be playing golf with daddy. Glad you guys made the trip. The heavens were short on angels.
Love ya,
Lele
Heavens NO! Soon to be 20 is baby Kennedy Hall, Kyle's cousin Katie is due any day now.
I'm so sorry for your loss! I miss you guys!
We are again so sorry and so saddened to hear about Nonnie. Our prayers are with you all.
Meredith,
I am so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to deal with someone in your family passing. I've been thinking about y'all a lot with everything going on with my family. I know that it had to be hard to be so far away during this sad time.
Leslie
Post a Comment