Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Caden!

Our little boy is 3 years old today! Hard to believe that time has past so quickly. We have such a joy of a child (most of the time)! Caden continues to amaze us every day with his sweet disposition, loving nature, and VAST vocabulary! I swear he will be speaking more Hungarian than us within days. The latest funny thing that he is doing is to say (in regards to our Garmin), "Mommy, you need to wait for Jill to tell you where to go" and "Mommy, turn left then turn right." This is exactly what "American Jill" says on our Garmin. He asked Kyle when he got home today if he "turned left then turned right?" Too cute!

In the grocery store last week, he said "koszonom" to the woman working in the deli and she thought it was so sweet, she gave him a slice of turkey to eat in the cart. For those of you learning Hungarian with us, koszonom means "thank you." So far it is the only word Caden knows, but I would say it is turning out to be a good one!

Caden is the best big brother to Reese. He loves to help her roll over and I can count on him to keep a quick eye on her if I run to the bathroom, etc. He is loving playing with her while she is in the exersaucer, showing her how to turn the music on, etc. I constantly hear him saying, "it's OK Reese Elizabeth" if she is crying or "I'm coming Reese" if she is squeeling for attention.

I'm so proud of how easily he has made new friends here and how quickly he has warmed up to everyone. He seems to be adjusting quite well, although we do have discussions sometimes over why we can't go to the lake or play at Christopher or Reeves' houses. I tell him it is OK to be sad and we'll visit our friends again soon.

We enjoyed a wonderful day with him today. Below is a slide show of our activities. We went to lunch with Daddy downtown at TGI Fridays. Real American chicken fingers, hamburgers, and quesadillas. He even got balloons! Then, we opened presents when Daddy got home and headed to Szamos Marcipan for an ice cream birthday celebration with the Birnbaums & Stuckis. Both of their families have welcomed us to Budapest with open arms. We are so grateful for their guidance and friendship. Caden and the kids (AJ, Sam, Jack, Katie, Ashley, Ryan & Reese) had a wonderful time (despite a huge downpour that occured right when we got there). We will have to visit this "sweet fairy tale cukraszda (pastry shop)"again, especially in nice weather, since they have a great garden to play in. Our ice creams were all delicious! We ended the day with phone call from grandparents to wish the birthday boy a wonderful day. Skype is fantastic!

Tomorrow we will continue the celebration with cupcakes at playgroup. I could not find a "3" candle to save my life, but luckily Laura had one. We'll put that on top of a cupcake tomorrow. We did however sing Happy Birthday over ice cream!

Happy Birthday to our wonderful little boy!



7 comments:

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday Caden from Martie and Cathy! We love you and miss you!!! Hugs and kisses!!!!

Cathy said...

oops, make that Marty.

Babee said...

Dear Caden,
BeBe and I looked at your birthday party pictures. You sure look like you are having fun with your new friends. And the ice cream looks really good! Glad you had such a great day. BeBe and I will call you tomorrow after your play date.
Love,
Babee

Staci said...

Happy Birthday Caden!!! We are glad you are having such a great time and making so many new friends! Reeves was asking about you -- we miss you!

Lisa Liner said...

Wow Caden...you look like you are 3 years old. Uncle Brett and Lauren are looking at your birtIhday pictures and reading your fun stories. Our favorite is the Hide and Seek video.
You are so sweet to Reese Elizabeth. She is loving having you as the sweet big brother!
We miss you! I hope your gift from Papa Jack and Lele arrives soon! We love you!
Papa Jack, Lele, Uncle Brett, and Lauren

The Martens said...

Caden is a Hungarian Stud! Happy Birthday little buddy!

Kurt

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Caden,,you and your friends look like you are having a great time. Keep helping Mom and Dad find their way around Budapest and give Reese a kiss for me.

Szeretlek..