Monday, January 12, 2009

An Odd Day Driver

Since being back in Budapest after spending so much time in the states, I've really had to consciously remind myself of the good things around here. It is kind of an "I think I can" mentality. Anywho, I really decided to do it for real today because I just got a reason to think living here is crazy.

So first off, the list of reasons I like Budapest:
  • Our friends. Love them - they rock. I NEVER would have thought I would have had so many great friends here.
  • Caden's school. He loves it. We love it. He has awesome teachers and wonderful friends.
  • Our small place. Yes, oddly I now love our small place. Less to pick up and easier to see Reese getting into trouble!
  • Snow on the ground. OK - Caden loves this. Me and Kyle not so much.
  • A park down the road! They just built it at the corner of our street while we were gone. It has a perfect baby swing for Reese and a big one for Caden.
  • Warm towels after a shower. Everyone should have a towel warmer no matter where you live.
  • Free childcare (playarea) while you grocery shop. Such an awesome concept that would never fly in the states due to liability issues.

I'll think of more on another day when I need it. Perhaps when I can't find tortilla chips at three different stores or when it takes me 6 hours to do a single load of laundry.

Alas, here is why living in Budapest is crazy today:

Budapest Mayor Gabor Demszky issued an open-ended smog alert in Budapest effective 11 am on Sunday, imposing restrictions on road traffic. During the smog alert, vehicles whose licence plates end in an even number should be used only on even dates of the month and vehicles with odd numbers may only be used on odd dates, the statement said. The alert was introduced after the concentration of dust floating in the air has exceeded the limit of 100 microgrammes per cubic metre for two days in a row, on Friday and Saturday. Fines will not be imposed on offending motorists on Sunday and Monday, but drivers will be warned.

Guess who has an odd numbered license plate? Guess what days Caden goes to school this week? They don't match! Oh well - fortunately ignorance may be bliss this time around. Let's hope for a decrease in dust concentration in the next few days!

5 comments:

KC said...

Oh no - that stinks - I can't believe it! But you are creative, and you will think of something! Then it will just be one more great memory of living in Budapest for us all to hear for years to come.

Summer said...

I totally say plead ignorance on this one! Come on, that is way too hard of a directive in English, and with the language barrier you have a good case.

Summer said...

I guess that's typical American thinking though, and what probably annoys most Europeans about us - we think the rules don't apply to us. So maybe don't take my advice in my last comment. :-(

Cathy said...

ok so what did you do?

Meredith said...

OK - I agree with Summer's second comment. However, you gotta do what you gotta do. It is too far to walk Caden to school and the bus route is crazy and includes going down the hill, just to come back up and a bus switch. So...we drove. Luckily, the restrictions were lifted on Tuesday. They just could not regulate any of it.